Skip to main content

The Blame Game


The Blame Game

If we don’t stop blaming others every single day for our shortcomings, then we will never be able to embrace ourselves fully.  Can we start recognizing our faults?  We struggle with seeing ourselves as having many imperfections.  If we fail a class, it’s our fault.  The teacher is in no way, “out to get you”.  A teacher takes pride in what he or she does every day and they truly WANT you to learn.  Did you do all your assignments?  Did you work, TRULY work, to your full potential?  Did you participate in every single reading that was handed to you?  If you failed, then the answer is likely no.  It’s far easier and fulfilling to admit your lack of work to your teacher than it is to accuse an educator of not caring about your success.  The reality, my dear friends, is that YOU have to care about your grade more than they do. By taking responsibility, you will, in turn, earn respect.



Nearly all of us have been reprimanded, written up, or fired from a job at some point in our lives.  We tend to blame this on poor management.  Were you timely in completing every work assignment?  Did you show up on time every single day without succumbing to that enticing snooze button? Did you partake in the “leave your attitude at the door” movement when all you really wanted to do was crawl back into bed and cry?  It may feel like you are trying to put a crack into the cement when you have to put that “fake smile” on your face, but we do it anyway.  It is never the fault of management when you haven’t done the job that you were paid to do.  We must own the fact that we failed, and that’s okay!! We all fail sometimes.  Maybe it just wasn’t the job for you, maybe it wasn’t fulfilling.  Life is full of tests and experiments.  Quickly recognize what went wrong and move on to a different occupation.  There is no time for blame. 



How many of us can truly say that we have never been “cut” from a team, or eliminated before we had even started?  If you are one of the few lucky people that excelled in sports through your entire career, then congratulations!  For the rest of us, I would like to stress that no, it wasn’t the coach’s fault.  Did we train the right way?  Did we practice until blisters formed on our hands and feet?  How bad did we truly want it?  A coach is a mentor, who typically has other daytime obligations like a career and a family.  They are there because they are impassioned with coaching you.  In most cases, they work for very little monetary reward.  Coaches are our mentors and typically form a relationship with their players that last throughout their lifetime.  If you fail at a sport, try again!  Practice harder.   Schedule a meeting with your coach and ask he or she what you can do to improve.  They will respect the fact that you care enough to swallow your pride and ask for help.  It’s not the coach’s fault, rather your own disinterest or lack of physical ability.  Sometimes we do not succeed in everything that we do, and that’s okay.  We all have different talents and abilities that mold who we are. 



You will never be able to realize your potential if you cannot outwardly recognize your failures and inadequacies.  Let’s teach our children that to blame, means to fail.  Let’s teach them that blame is a product of self-denial and nothing can be learned or improved upon while not being humble.  If you find yourself pointing a finger, then you will never find yourself at all.  









Comments

  1. The person I most often point the finger of blame at is me. Which is also often counter productive.
    I don't expect perfection from anyone else, but too often demand it of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Many of us participate in that habit. We have to realize the perfection isn’t possible at any point or time. We just have to focus on what we excel in :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single Parenthood; Friend or Foe?

This is my new journey in blogging.  As is already obvious in the title, I am a single mother of two of the most fabulous children that I know (and I don't say that because they are mine), they truly are great kids.  I not only love my children, I actually LIKE the people that they are.  I know that we all love our children deeply and those are the rules of the universe, but do we LIKE them? I started my journey into single motherhood about seven years ago.  It seems that I stumbled into the journey while blaming the seven year itch of my lovely ex husband....but now...now it seems that I am stumbling into a seven year itch myself.  Not the typical seven year itch where you look for attention from others, but the kind where you almost want to run from it.  I used to be the most social of creatures, but in recent months, I seem to want to be a recluse.  It's safer in that environment. My daughter is now 13, yes...stumbling into womanhood the same way that we all had to, "

My son has a hero.....

My son has a hero... His name is John Calipari, coach of the University of Kentucky Wildcats, a team that my son watches faithfully.  A team that is the root of Jake's hours of basketball time in our driveway every single night and a team that has given Jake a dream.  It all started a few weeks ago when I saw a posting on Facebook that Coach Cal would be doing a book signing in the next town about an hour and a half away.  I obviously started planning right at that exact second.  Jake, my son, has been feverishly planning what he was going to say to Coach Cal, but last night didn't seem very promising at first.  When we arrived at the book signing, Coach Cal had made an announcement that he was tired and that it had been a long few weeks.  He informed the audience that this would go extremely fast, about three seconds per person, long enough for the camera girl to flash a picture.  You were to step a few feet behind him and smile for your once in a lifetime photo with you

Single moms only lose it over ricotta cheese

People often ask me "How do you do it with two kids and a career all by yourself"? My response? I just do it!! It's not even that hard!! We do what we have to do, especially when little people are involved, but I have to tell you that it's occurred to me recently that it's the little things that send me flying over the deep end. Any big, huge life event, I can tackle with ease. I was standing in the kitchen making a lasagna for a coworker that had broken her leg. I thought that I would make her and her family a dinner and dessert to ease some of her stress. I make the salad, I make the dessert and then I proceed to gather the ingredients for the Alfredo lasagna. I realize that I had forgotten to purchase the ricotta cheese in between picking up kids from school and an academic team practice. What do you think happened? Did I get back into the car and go to the store that's only five minutes down the street?? No. I had a complete meltdown right there in the kit