Skip to main content

Dear Graduates

     Dear Graduates,

     The bell rang for the last time.  You probably didn't give it a glimmer of a thought.  You bolted.  Excited for your time in those awkward high school hallways to have come to an end.  You didn't embrace that last trip to your locker because you were simply just impressed that you had actually cleaned everything out of it on time.  That teacher, your favorite teacher, said goodbye to you one last time as a student.  You didn't realize how much pride that he or she felt watching you take that walk to the podium to retrieve your diploma.  These past few months have been an intense whirlwind and your precious time as a "child" has now turned into a, sometimes scary, embarkment into adulthood. The petty fights and social battles that you had in high school will no longer matter and will discipate from your mind completely by the time your five year reunion arrives. You now realize that you have a few short months to spend with friends and loved ones before heading into the beginning of the rest of your life.  You should be filled with so much excitement that your face hurts from smiling.  Now that you are an adult, we will let you in on a little secret.  Our days here on this planet pass by faster than you ever thought possible.  As fast as we tell you that it will pass by, you will end up wishing it were that slow.  Spend your next few months wisely.  Fill your days with friends and family.  They are a precious commodity, and I promise, you will need them later.  You will need your family in ways that you haven't before.  Your mother will become your best friend overnight and your brother will become the person that you share secrets with.  Your father will be there when you can't afford gas and your car breaks down on the interstate.  Be patient with your family over the next few months while they smother you.  This is a hard time for them. They are imagining an empty house and how their world works without you coming home to them everynight.  Take this time to be with your friends at any opportunity.  You will be parting ways soon and maybe all over different parts of the country.  You will need to lean on them when things get hard for you.  Go swimming, eat ice cream, travel all of your hometown backroads, play with your pets and take your brothers and sisters out to the movies and embrace your sibling rivalry and realize how precious it actually is.  Your family and your friends will be your constant throughout your journey.  My biggest piece of advice to you in all that you are going to embark on is to just simply put your phone down.  You don't need to take that picture.  You won't need to text anyone because everyone that matters will already be surrounding you. Facebook and Instagram can wait. Hug your mother, father, sister, brother, grandmother, grandfather, friends, and teachers and just be excited.  To say that we are proud of you is the biggest of understatements.  

Kristen Hamilton

Comments

  1. Family and friends are always more important than phones. Foundation, bedrock and safe haven with love and laughter thrown in for the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single Parenthood; Friend or Foe?

This is my new journey in blogging.  As is already obvious in the title, I am a single mother of two of the most fabulous children that I know (and I don't say that because they are mine), they truly are great kids.  I not only love my children, I actually LIKE the people that they are.  I know that we all love our children deeply and those are the rules of the universe, but do we LIKE them? I started my journey into single motherhood about seven years ago.  It seems that I stumbled into the journey while blaming the seven year itch of my lovely ex husband....but now...now it seems that I am stumbling into a seven year itch myself.  Not the typical seven year itch where you look for attention from others, but the kind where you almost want to run from it.  I used to be the most social of creatures, but in recent months, I seem to want to be a recluse.  It's safer in that environment. My daughter is now 13, yes...stumbling into womanhood the same way that we all had to, "

My son has a hero.....

My son has a hero... His name is John Calipari, coach of the University of Kentucky Wildcats, a team that my son watches faithfully.  A team that is the root of Jake's hours of basketball time in our driveway every single night and a team that has given Jake a dream.  It all started a few weeks ago when I saw a posting on Facebook that Coach Cal would be doing a book signing in the next town about an hour and a half away.  I obviously started planning right at that exact second.  Jake, my son, has been feverishly planning what he was going to say to Coach Cal, but last night didn't seem very promising at first.  When we arrived at the book signing, Coach Cal had made an announcement that he was tired and that it had been a long few weeks.  He informed the audience that this would go extremely fast, about three seconds per person, long enough for the camera girl to flash a picture.  You were to step a few feet behind him and smile for your once in a lifetime photo with you

Single moms only lose it over ricotta cheese

People often ask me "How do you do it with two kids and a career all by yourself"? My response? I just do it!! It's not even that hard!! We do what we have to do, especially when little people are involved, but I have to tell you that it's occurred to me recently that it's the little things that send me flying over the deep end. Any big, huge life event, I can tackle with ease. I was standing in the kitchen making a lasagna for a coworker that had broken her leg. I thought that I would make her and her family a dinner and dessert to ease some of her stress. I make the salad, I make the dessert and then I proceed to gather the ingredients for the Alfredo lasagna. I realize that I had forgotten to purchase the ricotta cheese in between picking up kids from school and an academic team practice. What do you think happened? Did I get back into the car and go to the store that's only five minutes down the street?? No. I had a complete meltdown right there in the kit