Skip to main content

Bring Back That Holiday Feelin'

I suddenly thought that if I erected a brand-new beautiful Christmas tree, that I would somehow feel cozy and settled. Turns out, it did not work. It failed in much the same way when it came to Easter, Independence Day, Memorial Day, and Labor Day. Holiday feelings and traditions missed the roll call this year and they appear to be absent. Am I the only person who feels the lights went out on the Christmas tree? The fireworks in July did not emit the same sparkle? The pool days of summer felt shallow? But you see, the holiday decorations and rituals are not what settle us, our attitudes do. Along with many others, I have complained about not being able to do the things I desire. Things that I took for granted. I have not had a date with my girlfriends in months. I have not spent time with many of my family members. I have not felt safe going on that weekend getaway with my husband. The things that I need to purchase from the grocery store are often unobtainable. The list of complaints is perpetual, but we cannot allow them to become permanent. I realized today, as I looked around my home, just how petty my complaints are. You see, I have the ability to purchase food from the grocery store. I get to see my husband every single day of my life. I get to take care of my mother and see my brother frequently. I can text my girlfriends at any time and we never fail to pick up right where we left off. My family has remained healthy thus far. We are alive. So why are we insistent on criticizing the situation that we are in. We are all facing this condition together as a community, yet we are acting alone. We are standing in ceaseless judgement of one another. The truth is, there is not one individual here that knows the proper way to handle this epidemic. We are doing the best that we can. By fighting one's point of view on the subject is to fight a phantom idea. The flip of the switch comes from within. The holiday lights will not provide us with a positive attitude. Our positive attitudes will light up the holidays. We have much to be thankful for this year, so pour a peppermint martini, turn up that faithful Mariah Carey Christmas album, plug in your attitude, and watch your house light up. 

Comments

  1. Yes.
    And please replace judgement (of ourselves and of others) with kindness.
    This challenging year and every year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single Parenthood; Friend or Foe?

This is my new journey in blogging.  As is already obvious in the title, I am a single mother of two of the most fabulous children that I know (and I don't say that because they are mine), they truly are great kids.  I not only love my children, I actually LIKE the people that they are.  I know that we all love our children deeply and those are the rules of the universe, but do we LIKE them? I started my journey into single motherhood about seven years ago.  It seems that I stumbled into the journey while blaming the seven year itch of my lovely ex husband....but now...now it seems that I am stumbling into a seven year itch myself.  Not the typical seven year itch where you look for attention from others, but the kind where you almost want to run from it.  I used to be the most social of creatures, but in recent months, I seem to want to be a recluse.  It's safer in that environment. My daughter is now 13, yes...stumbling into womanhood the same way that we all had to, "

My son has a hero.....

My son has a hero... His name is John Calipari, coach of the University of Kentucky Wildcats, a team that my son watches faithfully.  A team that is the root of Jake's hours of basketball time in our driveway every single night and a team that has given Jake a dream.  It all started a few weeks ago when I saw a posting on Facebook that Coach Cal would be doing a book signing in the next town about an hour and a half away.  I obviously started planning right at that exact second.  Jake, my son, has been feverishly planning what he was going to say to Coach Cal, but last night didn't seem very promising at first.  When we arrived at the book signing, Coach Cal had made an announcement that he was tired and that it had been a long few weeks.  He informed the audience that this would go extremely fast, about three seconds per person, long enough for the camera girl to flash a picture.  You were to step a few feet behind him and smile for your once in a lifetime photo with you

Single moms only lose it over ricotta cheese

People often ask me "How do you do it with two kids and a career all by yourself"? My response? I just do it!! It's not even that hard!! We do what we have to do, especially when little people are involved, but I have to tell you that it's occurred to me recently that it's the little things that send me flying over the deep end. Any big, huge life event, I can tackle with ease. I was standing in the kitchen making a lasagna for a coworker that had broken her leg. I thought that I would make her and her family a dinner and dessert to ease some of her stress. I make the salad, I make the dessert and then I proceed to gather the ingredients for the Alfredo lasagna. I realize that I had forgotten to purchase the ricotta cheese in between picking up kids from school and an academic team practice. What do you think happened? Did I get back into the car and go to the store that's only five minutes down the street?? No. I had a complete meltdown right there in the kit