Skip to main content

All Hearts are Red


.

I wonder what it would be like this year if nothing had happened……


Would we still be stuck in the same rut? Letting racism and white privilege rule our subconscious? Not spending any time with our family because we are so caught up in a rat race and consumed with stress that we aren’t able to breathe?
That did not happen…not this year.  


Our careers were abruptly interrupted. And this year we have faced some harsh realities. We have had to learn what it means to slow down. We have had to adapt in order to spend time with our families and just be still. We have isolated ourselves for the greater good. I have faced the fact that I am privileged. I was born into privilege not because I chose to be but because that is the path that was undeniably, unfairly paved for me. 


If you find yourself without your beloved career, you are not alone. Millions of Americans are in this with you. If you are black and you feel left behind because you are seeing dozens of social media posts that claim, “All lives matter”, you are not alone. Not all people feel this way. Of course, all lives matter but that is not the point. That is the same as saying, “All cancer is bad so yours isn’t special.” That is a scary thought process and that kind of thinking and careless speech is exactly what has gotten us where we are today. Its why so many black people have been mindlessly tortured, killed, turned away from jobs, lost opportunities, felt afraid, etc. It is not about one specific situation. It is about the thousands that were not caught on camera. 


So, in my note to the year 2020, I will say that I do not regret you. You have taken the blinders off. You have given and you have taken away. You have taken lives, but you have also given us one. You have taken jobs, but you have also uncovered so many amazing employers who have diligently taken care of their workers at any cost. We have seen a black man murdered on the street and an uprising of support for him all over the world. You have shown us that some of us are privileged and we have been denying that fact for years. You have shown us to raise our children to be better than we are. You gave us an instruction manual to raise children who know how to lead anything from a corporation to a protest and also how to follow and be humble and most importantly…. when to know the difference. 


If you utter the words, “All lives matter,” then you are part of the problem. If you are saying, “Unemployment benefits are too high,”, then you are also part of the problem. If you say, “There should be no hazard pay,” you need to think again.


The year 2020 certainly did not intend to leave room for judgement. Wear your heart on your sleeve with pride. Let us think before we speak. In fact, let us think before we think. There are certain things that white Americans cannot possibly understand so let us not pretend to do so.

Guess what? All hearts are red.

Kristen Hamilton

Comments

  1. Truth.
    And we all bleed red too - which includes the 'blue-bloods' among us.
    Sadly here in Australia we also need to be reminded that Black Lives Matter. An issue which gets swept under the mat far too often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single Parenthood; Friend or Foe?

This is my new journey in blogging.  As is already obvious in the title, I am a single mother of two of the most fabulous children that I know (and I don't say that because they are mine), they truly are great kids.  I not only love my children, I actually LIKE the people that they are.  I know that we all love our children deeply and those are the rules of the universe, but do we LIKE them? I started my journey into single motherhood about seven years ago.  It seems that I stumbled into the journey while blaming the seven year itch of my lovely ex husband....but now...now it seems that I am stumbling into a seven year itch myself.  Not the typical seven year itch where you look for attention from others, but the kind where you almost want to run from it.  I used to be the most social of creatures, but in recent months, I seem to want to be a recluse.  It's safer in that environment. My daughter is now 13, yes...stumbling into womanhood the same way that we all had to, "

My son has a hero.....

My son has a hero... His name is John Calipari, coach of the University of Kentucky Wildcats, a team that my son watches faithfully.  A team that is the root of Jake's hours of basketball time in our driveway every single night and a team that has given Jake a dream.  It all started a few weeks ago when I saw a posting on Facebook that Coach Cal would be doing a book signing in the next town about an hour and a half away.  I obviously started planning right at that exact second.  Jake, my son, has been feverishly planning what he was going to say to Coach Cal, but last night didn't seem very promising at first.  When we arrived at the book signing, Coach Cal had made an announcement that he was tired and that it had been a long few weeks.  He informed the audience that this would go extremely fast, about three seconds per person, long enough for the camera girl to flash a picture.  You were to step a few feet behind him and smile for your once in a lifetime photo with you

Single moms only lose it over ricotta cheese

People often ask me "How do you do it with two kids and a career all by yourself"? My response? I just do it!! It's not even that hard!! We do what we have to do, especially when little people are involved, but I have to tell you that it's occurred to me recently that it's the little things that send me flying over the deep end. Any big, huge life event, I can tackle with ease. I was standing in the kitchen making a lasagna for a coworker that had broken her leg. I thought that I would make her and her family a dinner and dessert to ease some of her stress. I make the salad, I make the dessert and then I proceed to gather the ingredients for the Alfredo lasagna. I realize that I had forgotten to purchase the ricotta cheese in between picking up kids from school and an academic team practice. What do you think happened? Did I get back into the car and go to the store that's only five minutes down the street?? No. I had a complete meltdown right there in the kit