Skip to main content

Christmas on Mason Lewis Road


Christmas on Mason Lewis Road

I was sitting in my kitchen a few nights ago. It was disturbingly quiet, which is rare for most of us that have a family. The house was void of all light except for the twinkling Christmas lights on my tree and the new addition of curtain lights that I had proudly displayed a few weeks prior. A feeling struck me very deeply, like it always does during the holidays. I could smell the Christmas cookies that my grandmother made for us every year and I could feel the heat coming off the old stove that my grandfather always had blasted at what seemed like 150 degrees. I could, in the dead of the quiet, hear my aunts and uncles discussing the gifts that they had purchased for my grandparents. I could hear the singing of four cousins, one of those being my own tiny voice, as they planned their annual Christmas play to perform for the family. A play that would be practiced as if it were a Broadway performance, yet would never be acted out in that tiny living room that belonged to my grandparents because of distractions. We were too busy searching for my grandmother’s cookies that she would hide from us after we had eaten our designated two. According to her, they were much too hard to make, and she couldn’t allow them to be squandered away within minutes. They had to be savored over a few weeks. We had to find the chocolate fudge that she would hide from us in hopes of having some for herself at the end of this hectic evening and the country ham was absolutely off limits, but not if we could help it. The only phone that rang was the one on her kitchen wall that had a long cord attached to it that would coil up on her kitchen counter. After waiting for what seemed like the longest two hours of our lives, the announcement would be made. It’s time to open the gifts! All the adults would crowd and cram themselves onto the couch and a few dining room chairs that had been pulled into the living room. The cousins and I would all find a spot in the floor and wait in anticipation. For the life of me I can’t understand how we all fit in that tiny room with my grandfather’s stove blasting that blistering heat into our faces, but we didn’t seem to notice, nor did anyone seem to mind. My grandmother and grandfather would sit front and center of that room, each in a dining room chair. They were the first to open their gifts and never was there a complaint from a child. We held a respect for them that wasn’t discussed and there was not a drop of envy. We loved watching them open those gifts as much as we loved opening our own. I can still smell that little tiny house and if I try really hard, I can grab hold of the feeling that I had when I was in it. Since the passing of my grandparents, I have held the family dinners at my home in hopes that the family could somehow grab that feeling back. I know now that it cannot be recreated. You cannot recreate a feeling. You cannot recreate a moment. I still make those same cookies that my grandmother made for us and this year I think that I just might hide a few of them from the kids. Merry Christmas to those who give us something that cannot be wrapped in paper or placed into a gift bag. I remember the smells, the decorations, the magic, and I even remember the sweaters that my grandmother wore. The one thing that I can’t seem to remember is what was in those gift boxes that had my name on them.

Kristen Hamilton

Comments

  1. Absolutely Beautiful! Brought me back to my childhood as well my friend. Love your writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single Parenthood; Friend or Foe?

This is my new journey in blogging.  As is already obvious in the title, I am a single mother of two of the most fabulous children that I know (and I don't say that because they are mine), they truly are great kids.  I not only love my children, I actually LIKE the people that they are.  I know that we all love our children deeply and those are the rules of the universe, but do we LIKE them? I started my journey into single motherhood about seven years ago.  It seems that I stumbled into the journey while blaming the seven year itch of my lovely ex husband....but now...now it seems that I am stumbling into a seven year itch myself.  Not the typical seven year itch where you look for attention from others, but the kind where you almost want to run from it.  I used to be the most social of creatures, but in recent months, I seem to want to be a recluse.  It's safer in that environment. My daughter is now 13, yes...stumbling into womanhood the same way that we all had to, "

My son has a hero.....

My son has a hero... His name is John Calipari, coach of the University of Kentucky Wildcats, a team that my son watches faithfully.  A team that is the root of Jake's hours of basketball time in our driveway every single night and a team that has given Jake a dream.  It all started a few weeks ago when I saw a posting on Facebook that Coach Cal would be doing a book signing in the next town about an hour and a half away.  I obviously started planning right at that exact second.  Jake, my son, has been feverishly planning what he was going to say to Coach Cal, but last night didn't seem very promising at first.  When we arrived at the book signing, Coach Cal had made an announcement that he was tired and that it had been a long few weeks.  He informed the audience that this would go extremely fast, about three seconds per person, long enough for the camera girl to flash a picture.  You were to step a few feet behind him and smile for your once in a lifetime photo with you

Single moms only lose it over ricotta cheese

People often ask me "How do you do it with two kids and a career all by yourself"? My response? I just do it!! It's not even that hard!! We do what we have to do, especially when little people are involved, but I have to tell you that it's occurred to me recently that it's the little things that send me flying over the deep end. Any big, huge life event, I can tackle with ease. I was standing in the kitchen making a lasagna for a coworker that had broken her leg. I thought that I would make her and her family a dinner and dessert to ease some of her stress. I make the salad, I make the dessert and then I proceed to gather the ingredients for the Alfredo lasagna. I realize that I had forgotten to purchase the ricotta cheese in between picking up kids from school and an academic team practice. What do you think happened? Did I get back into the car and go to the store that's only five minutes down the street?? No. I had a complete meltdown right there in the kit